UK Newswire Archive
29-11-2008 23:06Afer a year of joint operations by Bath Activist Network, Bath Animal Action and Bristol Animal Rights Collective, the foie gras trade in Bath is left in tatters. What was once a roaring trade has been reduced to a few isolated resteraunts.
29-11-2008 21:08Today six activists from Norwich Rising Tide set up a spoof E.on stall on the Royal Bank of Scotland’s doorstep (RBS is one of E.on’s core sources of funding).
29-11-2008 19:22A French military historian testifying as an expert witness before the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda has attacked the Canadian General who commanded the UN Force in Rwanda in 1994. "Dallaire failed in his mission", said the witness..
29-11-2008 19:13"The scale of the hidden losses of perhaps the twenty largest US banks is so enormous that if not before, the first Presidential decree of President Barack Obama will likely have to be declaration of a US ‘Bank Holiday’ and the full nationalization of the major banks, taking on the toxic assets and losses until the economy can again function with credit flowing to industry once more."
"The health of Citigroup is not the only gripping crisis that must be dealt with. At this point, political and ideological bickering in the US Congress has so far prevented a simple emergency $25 billion loan extension to General Motors and other of the US Big Three automakers—Ford and Chrysler. The absurd spectacle of US Congressmen attacking the chairmen of the Big Three for flying to the emergency Congressional hearings on a rescue loan in their private company jets while largely ignoring the issue of consequences to the economy of a GM failure underscores the utter lack of touch with reality that has overwhelmed Washington in recent years."
29-11-2008 19:06After nearly ten yeas, the effects of the Bologna Declaration in shaping European Higher Education (HE) along neo-liberal lines are becoming evident
29-11-2008 19:01No Borders and Campaign against Immigration Controls have called a demo at Amey HQ in Oxford in response to their sacking of several cleaners for trade union involvement, and their general attempt to force worse conditions and pay on the workers, using intimidation and deportation.
29-11-2008 18:50Following harrassment and beatings of several political prisoners in Oaxaca, a hunger strike has been commenced to demand their release.
29-11-2008 18:16Foie Gras in wrexham college
29-11-2008 18:06The architects HOK who are desgining the notorious "28 Days Later" lab in Camden are the same architects who designed the Arsenal Stadium!!! If you are an Arsenal fan do you find this shocking? The lab is opposed by local people and business in Camden who want council homes & community facilities on the site. The lab has been criticised by MI5 and will be next to St Pancras International.
29-11-2008 14:59The potentially sinister developments concerning the arrest of MP Damian Green have highlighted the precarious nature of the democracy to which we are subject. Now might be the best time to move forward.
shenanigans directed at the Royal Bank of Scotland, E-on and new coal.
29-11-2008 00:49A letter has appeared in Camden New Journal warning that a number of Fench restatraunts have sprung up in the borough and that many of them are selling Foie Gras......
Time for action!
28-11-2008 23:55What scares me most about the Mumbai attacks is the following:
1. They are not over yet.
2. We don't know who did it.
3. At this level of sophistication I would expect the capacity for a "follow-on" in the near future. If the intent of the attack is to put the United States completely out of business it will have to do so quickly.
4. The United States still has enormous military power which might be viewed in some DoD circles now as "Use it or lose it." They too can see the writing on the Imperial wall.
5. The attackers have made no demands.
6. To even publicly breathe that it might be state-sponsored puts us (i.e. all mankind) a hair trigger away from nuclear conflict in any off our theaters tactically and on a MAD basis strategically.
7. The logistics and C3 (Command, Control and Communications) for this looks state-sponsored.
8. This is an absolutely brilliant and potentially fatal blow aimed precisely at the weakest spots we have mapped in "Crossing the Rubicon: The Decline of the American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil" and at "From The Wilderness".
28-11-2008 19:28The world's largest coffee chain is guilty of corporate greed. It serves only 4% Fairtrade and has a branch in Guantanamo Bay. Whenever it sets up it seeks to wipe out competition and put smaller independent cafes out of business. Stand up to corporate corrupters...