Cardiff Stop the War | 02.03.2014 13:12
Motion to People's Assembly Recall Conference In London
Conference notes that:
1. 60 world leaders will meet near Newport for the NATO summit (4-5 September). Previous summits in Chicago and Strassbourg saw thousands protest war, austerity and global inequality.
2. From August 30th people will flock to S.Wales for international actions including a weekend march and “Counter-Summit”, week-long peace camp, and protests on the summit’s opening day.
3. NATO is the military alliance binding Europe to US foreign policy, including the occupation of Afghanistan, which is rejected around most of the world..
4. War is the enemy of the poor. The world’s richest 85 people have as much as the poorest 3.5 billion. The annual sum needed to end world hunger is $30 billion while the US military budget is $530 billion.
5. Money into war is money out of our communities. One day of war in Afghanistan could fund 100,000 nurses.
Conference calls for
People’s Assembly to work with No NATO Newport, Stop the War Coalition, CND, European Anti-NATO Network and others to ensure that when world leaders meet the voice of millions is heard.
Conference therefore resolves to
1. Encourage local PA groups to highlight the cost of war by organising activities linking austerity and war.
2. Work with local anti-war groups to mobilise against NATO. Invite anti-war speakers to anti-austerity events.
3. Publicise NATO protests in trade union and anti-cuts networks locally, nationally and internationally.
Proposed by: Cardiff Peoples Assembly
Cardiff Stop the War