Nine NO2ID campaigners arrested at peaceful protest
Moon23 | 03.07.2008 21:06 | Repression | Social Struggles
On Monday (30th June) nine NO2ID campaigners were arrested after they
staged a peaceful protest at an invitation only Home Office so-called
"public consultation"
staged a peaceful protest at an invitation only Home Office so-called
"public consultation"
On Monday (30th June) nine NO2ID campaigners were arrested after they
staged a peaceful protest at an invitation only Home Office so-called
"public consultation". NO2ID's protest was an entirely peaceful and
lawful attempt to publicise the Home Office's shifty semi-secret
proceedings that had been pre-arranged with STV news. There was no
intention to frighten or inconvenience any member of the public. The
nine were charged with breach of the peace and bound over for 30 days.
One of those arrested had a 4 year old child with her. Another of those
arrested was a 68 year old retired academic. It took nine hours for the
last of the protesters to be released from police custody. John Welford,
NO2ID Edinburgh co-ordinator and one of the nine arrested, in a letter
to The Scotsman said: "What is it about the current Labour Government
that it is unable to tolerate any criticism of its policies and actions?
And why is it frightened to engage openly and honestly in proper debate
with the citizens of this country, especially about an issue as
controversial as compulsory identity cards and the setting up of a vast,
intrusive database state? ...the government prefers to organise its own
heavily controlled focus group meetings and private consultations away
in the shadows."
staged a peaceful protest at an invitation only Home Office so-called
"public consultation". NO2ID's protest was an entirely peaceful and
lawful attempt to publicise the Home Office's shifty semi-secret
proceedings that had been pre-arranged with STV news. There was no
intention to frighten or inconvenience any member of the public. The
nine were charged with breach of the peace and bound over for 30 days.
One of those arrested had a 4 year old child with her. Another of those
arrested was a 68 year old retired academic. It took nine hours for the
last of the protesters to be released from police custody. John Welford,
NO2ID Edinburgh co-ordinator and one of the nine arrested, in a letter
to The Scotsman said: "What is it about the current Labour Government
that it is unable to tolerate any criticism of its policies and actions?
And why is it frightened to engage openly and honestly in proper debate
with the citizens of this country, especially about an issue as
controversial as compulsory identity cards and the setting up of a vast,
intrusive database state? ...the government prefers to organise its own
heavily controlled focus group meetings and private consultations away
in the shadows."
Moon23
e-mail:
moon_watcher_2007@hotmail.com
Homepage:
http://www.no2id.net
Additions
Comment from activist
04.07.2008 08:36
"Nine of us have been charged for breach of the peace. Eight for causing "alarm and distress" for walking into the hotel wearing white suits and masks (despite two of them actually wearing unmasked East German border guard uniforms), and me for "alarm and disturbance" for infiltrating the meeting, putting my hand up to speak, taking the microphone when offered, speaking, and refusing to leave immediately while speaking after the minister requested that I do so.
Of the eight, one is a young lady who walked in after everyone else with a young child. The idea that she might have alarmed anyone is ridiculous. Another of the protesters was 17, on his first protest, doing only what I had told him - I'm very annoyed that he has been charged and had to spend a day in the cells at St Leonards.
There was a bit of heavy handed policing (they were responding to a 999 call and didn't know what they were facing) but it calmed down instantly the moment one of them realised they were being filmed by professionals and warned his colleagues. All protesters were entirely peaceful at all times.
I must emphasise that once the police realised that there actually wasn't any danger, they were all entirely courteous and professional throughout for the rest of the day. We still have to decide whether to file a complaint against the officer who ripped a mask of the face of a protester. He seemed a decent and friendly chap when I spoke to him later.
The police have told us that after speaking to groups of people inside, no one has any complaints about our conduct inside, there is no suggestion that we were anything other than peaceful. It is the "alarm" that has led to the charges "masked people in today's climate ...". Given that we had negotiated with the hotel manager to film an interview with STV inside (possibly after the 999 call had been made - that is still to be established), and were on our way out when the police arrived, I am surprised at the charges.
However, STV caught almost everything (except my contribution to the consultation) on camera. They followed the costumed protesters in, filmed them trying to negotiate entry, caught me being thrown out, an interview with me, our attempted departure, followed by the arrival of the police. Apparently we have made the main news programme, but couldn't see it ourselves.
We have all been bailed to appear before Edinburgh Sheriff's court on 24 July. I fully intend to use the occasion to highlight again how the Home Office are refusing to engage in debate with the public.
For clarification, I was not trying to engage in constructive debate inside the consultation. It would have taken hours to counter the nonsense that Meg Hillier was speaking and would have served little purpose. Instead, I concentrated on the fact that we and the general public had been excluded from the process.
There were a couple of amusing aspects. When I approached the registration desk just after the event started, I was able to see all the remaining badges and list of names - it was easy to select one. I entered the ID consultation with a newly-acquired false identity.
On entering the room, in which a video was playing, I slowly walked around to find the assigned seat for that person. Officials to whom I had been speaking outside appeared not to recognise me. No one challenged my entry as I took a seat. Meanwhile, officials who tackled the costumed protesters that tried to follow five minutes later asked the group if Dr Bevan was among them. So, they were looking out for me, but couldn't even spot me walking in late after I had been talking to them earlier. And these people think they are capable of controlling people's identities. Astonishing."
PS Most NO2IDers are aware of other civil liberties abuses such as those shown towards other activists. Solidarity is the key
Of the eight, one is a young lady who walked in after everyone else with a young child. The idea that she might have alarmed anyone is ridiculous. Another of the protesters was 17, on his first protest, doing only what I had told him - I'm very annoyed that he has been charged and had to spend a day in the cells at St Leonards.
There was a bit of heavy handed policing (they were responding to a 999 call and didn't know what they were facing) but it calmed down instantly the moment one of them realised they were being filmed by professionals and warned his colleagues. All protesters were entirely peaceful at all times.
I must emphasise that once the police realised that there actually wasn't any danger, they were all entirely courteous and professional throughout for the rest of the day. We still have to decide whether to file a complaint against the officer who ripped a mask of the face of a protester. He seemed a decent and friendly chap when I spoke to him later.
The police have told us that after speaking to groups of people inside, no one has any complaints about our conduct inside, there is no suggestion that we were anything other than peaceful. It is the "alarm" that has led to the charges "masked people in today's climate ...". Given that we had negotiated with the hotel manager to film an interview with STV inside (possibly after the 999 call had been made - that is still to be established), and were on our way out when the police arrived, I am surprised at the charges.
However, STV caught almost everything (except my contribution to the consultation) on camera. They followed the costumed protesters in, filmed them trying to negotiate entry, caught me being thrown out, an interview with me, our attempted departure, followed by the arrival of the police. Apparently we have made the main news programme, but couldn't see it ourselves.
We have all been bailed to appear before Edinburgh Sheriff's court on 24 July. I fully intend to use the occasion to highlight again how the Home Office are refusing to engage in debate with the public.
For clarification, I was not trying to engage in constructive debate inside the consultation. It would have taken hours to counter the nonsense that Meg Hillier was speaking and would have served little purpose. Instead, I concentrated on the fact that we and the general public had been excluded from the process.
There were a couple of amusing aspects. When I approached the registration desk just after the event started, I was able to see all the remaining badges and list of names - it was easy to select one. I entered the ID consultation with a newly-acquired false identity.
On entering the room, in which a video was playing, I slowly walked around to find the assigned seat for that person. Officials to whom I had been speaking outside appeared not to recognise me. No one challenged my entry as I took a seat. Meanwhile, officials who tackled the costumed protesters that tried to follow five minutes later asked the group if Dr Bevan was among them. So, they were looking out for me, but couldn't even spot me walking in late after I had been talking to them earlier. And these people think they are capable of controlling people's identities. Astonishing."
PS Most NO2IDers are aware of other civil liberties abuses such as those shown towards other activists. Solidarity is the key
moon23
e-mail:
moon_watcher_2007@hotmail.com
Comments
Hide the following 9 comments
Whatcha gonna do when they come for you...
03.07.2008 23:17
Then they came for the No2IDers....
Look at what is happening! I've never been into animal rights but it's true what they say. The police use new laws against them first and then they use them against the rest of us. We have to stop this!! I'll never turn a blind eye again when I see the police abusing their powers on animal rights people.
When I see police arresting working class activists I know who's side I'm on!
Mr Fox
Open your eyes!
04.07.2008 07:49
@narchist
Many AR are part of the class war
04.07.2008 08:23
If you go to an AR march you will often here the slogan "Human freedom, Animal Rights, One Struggle, One Fight".
AR people know more than anyone the oppresion that capitalism brings.
AR is currently the biggest threat to big business in the UK, thats why so much police resources are arranged against them. Just wish other anarchists could see this and realise the importance of AR to the wider class struggle.
Ermmm
Just wanting to open dialogue between all groups!
04.07.2008 09:39
@narchist
Make the complaint
04.07.2008 10:09
Any play acting by this person afterwards was simply pretending to be a decent and friendly chap.
Had one of the protestors ripped this "decent and friendly chap"'s hat off you can bet that they would have reacted very differently.
Complaining against the police is useless, as they investigate themselves and never hold themselves to account. It is important to go through the motions though, otherwise they will say that everyone is happy with their actions.
A N Other
Good work!
04.07.2008 15:43
Anon E. Mouse
Civil Liberties Militant Picnic Project
05.07.2008 06:07
We plan to encourage timed/themed flash mob decentralised and /or 'centralised' picnics in the future. To find this group search on Facebook under "Freedom Picnic Campaign" - pls join this group, forward it to others and where possible contribute to ideas of how and when we should use it.
Cheers
M
Zap Solida
Good one
05.07.2008 22:43
As an activist I have to disagree with 'single issue' mentality. Yes, certain people are focused in certain areas which could easily end up resulting in single issue campaigning. But to be honest I think this can be a strength in many ways, as focusing means people do not spread out and can target companies etc much more effectively with sustained campaigning. As long as we do remember that these struggles are deeply linked and each affects the other... which I have seen constantly throughout animal rights... I do not see a problem.
Also it's easy to forget that each area is massive and people can get lost in each one pretty easily - these is so much abuse against people, the environment and animals that it really is easy to slip into one, especially if you find yourself doing something which is very effective and makes a strong impact in a reasonable time.
Just a few thoughts x
somebody
Single-Issue Campaigning
07.07.2008 11:40
On the other hand, I don't know many people involved in NO2ID who are not involved in other forms of activism as well. NO2ID may be a single-issue campaign, but our supporters are not single-issue supporters.
- Dave Page, Manchester NO2ID Co-Ordinator
Dave Page
e-mail:
manchester@no2id.net
Homepage:
http://manchester.no2id.net/