zinester | 30.04.2009 16:48 | Culture
Sunday 3rd May 2009,
The Rag Factory, 16-18 Heneage Street, London E1 5LJ
The fifth annual London Zine Symposium is kicking off on Sunday May 3rd from 12 noon – 6pm.
The Symposium is a volunteer run day celebrating zines, small press, comix and radical culture!
There are over 60 stalls with distros and creators from across the UK and Europe. There's a healthy number of anarchist, and radical media, coming along including Now or Never, Whitechapel Anarchist group and Last Hours. But in addition there's a range of almost every self-published zine you could want, from photocopied punk zines, through to hand made books, screenprints and artwork.
Workshops & talks
- Roger Sabin and Teal Triggs (authors of 'Below Critical Radar') talking about the politics of zines and comix since 1970
- An examination of the rise of the zine festival and how to organise one
- The politics of the zine library with speakers from Barcelona, New Orleans, and Poitiers (France). This will include Robb Roemershauser recounting a griping story of almost losing everything he ever had from a natural disaster that happen in his backyard. All he had after Hurricane Katrina was his zine library he did and how an anarchist bookstore/ library became the first library in New Orleans to re-opened two months to the day after the storm.
- Zine readings with Alex Wrekk (Brainscan zine) from Portland, Oregan, Chella Quint (Adventures in Menstruation), Kathleen (Scratch that Itch) and Chris Lever (Lipgloss zine)
- Facilities to make a zine from the day with collaborations from those attending with the help of Footprinters print co-op
- How to use popular website Etsy to sell zines
We'll also of course have vegan food and cake throughout the day!