BWIP Coalition | 07.02.2006 19:21
(Can you sex up our dossiers? Get in touch NOW at firstname.lastname@example.org)
(3rd anniversary of the Parliamentary vote on the Iraq war)
1. WHAT IS IMPEACHMENT?
In a nutshell, impeachment is the process where a high level official is brought to book for commiting criminal acts. It does not necessarily mean removal from office. It is a formal statement of charges, a bit like an indictment in criminal law. Once the charges have been brought, the person can be charged by a vote in the House of Lords (in the name of the House of Commons). It is then that they can be removed from office.
For more details check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment
2. WHY SHOULD TONY BLAIR BE IMPEACHED?
Because, along with President Bush, he brought the UK into an illegal and immoral war and has still not faced proper justice for it. What precedent does it set if we the people of Britain allow that to happen without using the tools at our disposal to sort the situation out?
THINGS YOU CAN DO
Above all, spread the words "IMPEACH BLAIR" as far and wide as you possibly can. The more people who realise this is possible, the more possible it becomes. We can and will build a vibrant mass movement in 2006. Spread it by email, over the airwaves, in letters to newspapers and magazines, on podcasts, in blogs, in songs, on T-shirts, on badges - in as many creative ways as you can!
1. The very first thing to do is to sign the online petition. http://www.impeachblair.org
2. While you are there, download "A Case to Answer" by Dan Plesch and Glen Rangwala and read it immediately. It will give you the basic information you need to know on why we must impeach Mr.Blair in 2006 because of "high crimes and misdemeanours" in relation to the Iraq war.
3. For extra detail, download the legal opinion on the impeachment of the Prime Minister by Rabinder Singh QC and Professor Conor Gearty of Matrix.
4. Send an email of thanks, greetings and love to Adam Price MP of Plaid Cymru who has pursued this one from the beginning.
5. If you don't know already, find out who your MP is. http://www.theyworkforyou.com
6. Send an online letter FREE to your MP, MEP, MSP, councillors, Welsh or London Assembly members to tell them why Mr.Blair needs to be impeached in 2006.
7. Has your MP signed Early Day Motion 1088 yet? This promises a proper investigation into the process that led to war. Have a check to see if your MP has signed - http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=29437&SESSION=875.
If they haven't signed, write to them immediately.
What's an Early Day Motion? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Day_Motion
8. Sign up to join us on our protest outside Parliament on 18.03.06.
9. Send us as many ideas for protests, demonstrations, and all other forms of non-violent pressure as possible . We can't do this without you!
IMPEACHES AND CREAM,
THE BLAIR WITCH IMPEACHMENT PROJECT
(The original 'dodgy dossier', which made many of the claims used to push the war in the first place, can be found online at http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/blair.doc. It later collapsed as evidence when it was found that much of it had been thieved from a student thesis that was 12 years old!)